Requirements for Eligibility of Federal Aid


  • You must be accepted for admissions as a regular student working towards a degree program in an eligible program.
  • You must meet satisfactory academic progress standards set by the Pentecostal Theological Seminary during the time you are attending.
  •  You may be able to receive aid for distance education courses as long as they are part of a recognized degree program.
  • You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen.
  • You must have a valid Social Security number (SSN). If you don’t have an SSN, you can find out more about applying for one at or by calling 1-800-772-1213; TTY users can call 1- 800-325-0778.
  • When you apply for federal student aid you sign a statement that certifies that you will use federal student aid for educational purposes only. You also certify that you are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe a refund on a federal student grant (which could happen if you have withdrawn from school, for example).
  • You must comply with Selective Service registration. If you’re a male aged 18 through 25 and you have not registered you can, at the same time you complete your FAFSA, give the Selective Service System permission to register you by means of the FAFSA. You can also register online at or call 1-847-688-6888; TTY users can call 1-847-688-2567.
  • You have limited eligibility for federal student aid while you're incarcerated. Generally, you're only eligible for a Pell Grant and then only if you're NOT incarcerated in a federal or state penal institution. Check with the financial aid office at the school you plan on attending.
  • Generally, if you have been convicted for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid, you will be ineligible for a period of time based on the type and number of convictions. If you have been convicted of a drug-related offense, it is very important that you complete and submit the FAFSA to determine your eligibility. If you are submitting a paper FAFSA, you will be mailed a worksheet to assist you in determining whether your conviction affects your eligibility for federal student aid. If you are applying using FAFSA on the Web at, your eligibility will be determined during your online session.
  •  If you need assistance or have any questions on how to answer this question, call 1-800-4-FED- AID (1-800-433-3243) for help from the Federal Student Aid Information Center. Even if you’re ineligible for federal student aid because of a drug conviction, you should still complete the FAFSA because most schools and states use FAFSA information to award nonfederal aid. If you have lost federal student aid eligibility due to a drug conviction, you can regain eligibility if you pass two unannounced drug tests conducted by a drug rehabilitation program that complies with criteria established by the U.S. Department of Education.


Federal Student Aid

The Federal Student Aid (FSA) is the U.S. Department of Education's central database for student aid. The web site allows you to access data on your Title IV loans and/or Pell grants. The site displays information on loan and/or grant amounts, outstanding balances, loan statuses, and disbursements.


FSA Ombudsman

The Federal Student Aid Ombudsman of the Department of Education helps resolve disputes and solve other problems with federal student loans. If you have an issue at PTS, please contact the Financial Aid Office so that they can work towards a quick resolution. You are encouraged to file a grievance at PTS through the Student Service Office at: 423-478-7724. This information is also found in the PTS catalog.

Ombudsman Contact Information… Telephone: 877.557.2575

(Toll free) 202.377.3800 (Toll call) Fax: 202.275.0549

Mail: U.S. Department of Education FSA Ombudsman 830 First Street, N.E. Washington, DC 20202-5144 Online:






900 Walker St. NE,
Cleveland, TN 37311
800.228.9126 | 423.478.1131
Copyright ©2024. All Rights Reserved.